I talked previously about how wearing clothes that fit you is the most important fashion advice you need to know. I also mentioned great places like Buffalo Exchange and Nordstrom Rack to get high fashion clothes at budget prices.
Another great way to look good without spending too much money is to take good care of the clothes and belongings you have.
I have used these methods to keep my favorite clothes looking FRESH.
Here are some of my best tips:
- Wash Clothes on Delicate Cycle
- Hang Dry Clothes you Care about like Dress Shirts and Nice Pants
- Use AWESOME Brand Cleaner to Get Stains Out Before you Wash
- Dry Clean the clothes that are Special Fabrics or stains
- Scotch Guard/ Leather Protect/Polish your shoes when you first get them
- Use Magic Eraser to Clean your Shoes
- Rotate Shoes so they Last Longer
1. Washing clothes on delicate cycle will help them last longer, as the fabric won’t be as roughed up in the machine. This is particularly in reference to button down shirts and even cotton t-shirts.
2. Hanging dry your clothes may take a bit of effort, but again, it will put less wear and tear on your clothes. The girl I’ve been dating was surprised and impressed the first time she came over and saw my clothes hang drying in my room. I was like “I hang dry my clothes so they last longer” and she was like “I KNOW I do too”. (You don’t need to hang dry underwear socks, towels).
3. No I’m not being compensated to promote AWESOME cleaner, my Aunt introduced it to me years ago in college and I’ve found it the best stain remover for those collar neck stains and to clean my white garments. The best part is you can buy it at a 99cent store. (On a side note I’m not sure how environmentally friendly it is, it has a chemical smell that can be strong). It also helps to have a good clothes scrubber (I stole my parents’ scrubber from the house). Another good idea for heavy stains is to presoak dirty items in OXYCLEAN.
4. Find a good dry cleaner (not just a cheap one) because I’ve noticed some of the cheap ones don’t really get stains off your clothes! Dry clean silk ties,and items with special fabrics. Don’t wear the items too long before cleaning because stains may set in and be unremoveable. If you’re not sure how to wash your clothes look at the tag inside for directions.
5. Scotch Guarding will help protect your shoes,bags from stains. It helps repel liquids off the fabric. My shoesmith told me to polish my leather shoes when I first get them because shoes from the factory are not protected and you want to take care of the leather.
6. This Magic Eraser is freakin’ amazing as well. It takes out 83.2% of the scuff marks on the bottom outside of your athletic shoes. Give it a try and thank me later.
7. Rotate the shoes you wear so you don’t wear one pair out super quick. I have this habit where I buy a shoe that I love, and end up wearing it everyday. I normally then wear that shoe out quickly in a matter of months. I do get my moneys worth, but I wear the crap out of the shoe and then it looks to worn, plus it loses its support and structure. When I switch up the shoes I wear between at least 2-3 pairs, I can wear those shoes for way longer than a year.
What’s your best gear maintenance advice?
p.s. check out this Groupon coupon for $25 for $50 worth of purchases at Nordstrom Rack. It ends tommorrow!